MFU Congratulates 2023 Scholarship Recipients
Montana Farmers Union congratulates Montana students receiving $15,000 in scholarship funding from MFU, including a year’s tuition to MSU-Northern.
“The new age of ranching and farming requires leading edge knowledge to ensure profitability. It’s exciting to have so many applicants who have rural or agricultural roots looking to further their education. It’s the creative minds of tomorrow’s ranchers and farmers that will keep food on all our tables,” said Matt Rains who serves as MFU’s Chief of Staff.
Fairfield’s Isaac Lauver has received a new scholarship dedicated to a student who has pledged to pursue meat sciences at Montana State University-Northern. Lauver received a year’s tuition to Northern and will also receive hands-on training at Montana Premium Processing Cooperative in Havre.
MFU has long advocated that more skilled butchers and inspectors are needed to increase the state’s meat processing capacity and strengthen family ranches and local food supply chains. The new scholarship is intended to help Northern recruit students to its developing meat science program long-term.
“To save local processing we must have trained, skilled individuals who can go out and make a living running their own meat processing facility. The Northern program will be instrumental in allowing students to get degrees in meat sciences. I’m excited MPPC is there to a laboratory in which they can learn hands-on skills,” Rains said.
Other 2023 Montana Farmers Union scholarship recipients are:
- Abigail Clark from Fort Benton received a $1,000 Bud Daniels Memorial Scholarship and a $1,000 scholarship from the Montana Farmers Union Foundation.
- Shea Ostberg of Fairfield received $1,000 from the MFU Foundation.
- Lance Rutledge from Big Sandy received the John Korsbeck Memorial Scholarship for $1,000, a $1,000 MFU Foundation scholarship, and $500 from the Choteau County Farmers Union Local.
- Grayce Siderius of Kalispell received a $1,000 John Korsbeck Memorial Scholarship, $1,000 from the MFU Foundation, and $1,000 from the Flathead County-wide Farmers Union Local.
- Shania Van Spyk from Great Falls received $1,000 from the Cascade County-wide Farmers Union Local.
To learn more about opportunities through MFU, go to www.montanafarmersunion.com.